박종우展 《비무장지대 DMZ》

이전전시

박종우展 《비무장지대 DMZ》

전시 기간
2020/02/29 - 2020/05/27

작가노트

비무장지대의 미래를 위한 아카이빙의 중요성

DMZ 작업에 손을 댄 지 10년이 지났다. 한국전쟁 발발 60주년을 앞두고 비무장지대 공식 기록을 남기기로 한 국방부의 계획에 따라 2009년 여름에 준비를 시작해 10월부터 촬영에 들어갔다. 전쟁이 휴전으로 들어간 후 수 십 년 동안 일반인은 물론 대다수의 군인들에게조차 접근 금지였던 비무장지대를 사진과 영상으로 속속들이 기록하는 것은 가슴 벅찬 일이었다. 과거에는 예민한 군사비밀로 여겨져 왔던 감시초소 GP에 관한 기록까지 허락한 건 우리 군의 자신감이었을 것이다. 오늘날 휴전선 일대의 군사시설은 각종 위성사진을 통해 좌표까지 모두 공개되어 있고 과거와 달리 미사일과 공군력으로 판가름이 나는 현대전에서 군사비밀의 기준 역시 많이 바뀌었다. 그렇다고 해도 국방부가 비무장지대 전체를 가감 없이 공개하기로 한 것은 실로 놀라운 변화였다.

비무장지대에 있는 전체 GP를 방문하여 건물 내외부를 촬영하고 항공촬영까지 한다는 계획은 정전 협정 발효 이래 전무후무한 일이었다. 그런데 열 몇 군데의 GP를 방문했을 무렵인 2010년 3월 26일에 천안함 피격사건이 일어났다. 남북간의 긴장이 갑자기 고조되면서 촬영 계획은 취소됐다. 그 뒤부터는 하는 수 없이 남방한계선 외곽에서 철책 너머로 비무장지대를 촬영할 수 밖에 없었다. 비무장지대의 긴장상태가 완화되고 촬영이 다시 궤도에 오르려 할 즈음 이번에는 연평도 포격사건이 터졌고 기록 사업은 속절없이 종료됐다. 나는 결국 개인 자격으로 분단에 관한 작업을 지속해 나갔다. 그렇게 담아낸 귀한 기록들은 2017년 독일의 슈타이들 출판사에 의해 사진집으로 만들어져 세상에 나왔다. 그러나 정작 우리나라에서는 책이 출판되지 않고 있다가 이번에 고은사진미술관의 전시와 더불어 한국어판으로 만들어내게 된 것이다.

처음 작업을 시작하고 10년이 흐르는 동안 남북관계는 롤러코스터를 탔다. 2018년 남북 군사합의에 따라 비무장지대에도 많은 변화가 일어났는데, 그 중 역사적인 사건은 남북이 상호 1km 이내의 거리에 있는 GP들을 철거하기로 한 것이다. 휴전 후 60여 년간 아무도 볼 수 없었고 아무런 기록도 남겨두지 않았던 GP를 갑자기 철거한다는 것은 신중히 생각해야 할 일이었다. 다행히 2010년 강원도 고성에서 촬영했던 금강산 GP의 사진이 국회에서 공개되어 보존여론이 일면서 결국 철거 대상에서 제외되어 등록문화재로 지정되기까지 했다.

이 사진집은 비무장지대를 네 개의 장으로 구성하고 더하여 육지 이외의 경계를 두 개의 장에 담았다. 전쟁으로 인해 생겨난 경계는 육지만이 아니므로 물의 경계 또한 다뤄져야 하기 때문이다. 한강하구 중립수역과 북방한계선 은 물론 비무장지대에 포함되지는 않는다. 하지만 남과 북의 실질적 분단 경계로서 넓은 의미에서의 비무장지대에 포함을 시켰다. 언젠가 다가올 비무장지대의 해체를 앞두고 그곳에서 기록하고 보존해야 할 것은 차고 넘친다. 한반도에 평화의 기운이 피어나기만 하면 비무장지대에 대한 온갖 목소리가 우후죽순처럼 솟아오른다. 그러나 섣부른 아우성에 앞서 더욱 중요한 것은 현재의 상태를 잘 기록하고 보다 장기적인 계획을 세우는 일이다. 앞으로 비무장지대를 둘러싼 정치 정세가 어떻게 변할지는 짐작하기 어렵지만 잊지 말아야 할 것은 지속적인 아카이빙의 중요성이다. 이 사진집이 그 디딤돌이 되면서 역사의 올바른 흐름 속에 계속 이어지기를 바라는 마음이다.

AFTERWORD

I have been taking pictures of the DMZ for 10 years. In preparation for the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War, the Korean Ministry of Defense released many official records pertaining to the DMZ. I began preparing in the summer of 2009, and started shooting in October of the same year. It was heartbreaking to record the DMZ, which had been off limits not only to the general public but also to the majority of soldiers for six decades after the armistice. The South Korean government must have been confident to allow records on guard posts, which were considered sensitive military secrets in the past, to be released. Today, military facilities inside the DMZ are able to be seen through satellite images. And unlike in the past, the standards of military secrecy have changed in modern warfare, something that is now determined by missiles and air force power. Even so, it was a remarkable change that the Ministry of Defense decided to open up the DMZ without omitting anything.

The plan to visit all the GPs in the DMZ to photograph the interior and exterior of the buildings, as well as to include aerial photography, was unprecedented since the Armistice Agreement went into effect in 1953. The sinking of a South Korean naval ship, the Cheonan, occurred on March 26, 2010, at which time I had already visited a dozen GPs. Tensions between the two Koreas suddenly rose and the filming plan was canceled. At that point, I had no choice but to photograph the DMZ from beyond the fence, outside the Southern Limit Line. Afterwards, tensions in the DMZ were eased and shooting was about to get back on track, but then there was the bombardment of Yeonpyeong Island, and the DMZ archiving project came to a screeching halt. I eventually continued my work as an individual photographer. The precious records of such a collection were released to the world in 2017, when they were made into a photo book by Steidl, a famed German publishing company. However, the book was not published in Korea at the time. This time around, though, it was published in Korean through my exhibition at the GoEun Museum of Photography.

During my 10 years of photographing the DMZ, inter-Korean relations took a roller coaster ride. The 2018 South-North military agreement brought about a lot of changes in the DMZ, one of which was that the two Koreas decided to remove GPs within a kilometer of each other. It was a matter requiring careful consideration to abruptly remove the GPs, which virtually no one had seen for more than six decades after the armistice, with almost no records left behind. Fortunately, the photo I took of South Korea‘s northernmost GP in 2010 was, released at the National Assembly, sparking controversy over the GP‘s preservation. This eventually led to it being excluded from the demolition list and designated as a National Registered Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Korea.

This book consists of four chapters documenting the DMZ on the land, plus two chapters off the land. The boundaries created by war are not just land boundaries; they, can also include water boundaries. The Han River Estuary Neutral Zone and the Northern Limit Line are not included in the DMZ. However, they were included in the DMZ in a broad sense as a de facto dividing line between the South and the North. Even in the distant future, there will be many issues to be recorded and preserved there ahead of the coming dismantlement of the DMZ. What should not be forgotten is the importance of continuous archiving, given that we do not know how the political situation surrounding the DMZ will change in the future. It is my hope that this book will serve as a stepping stone for peace on the Korean Peninsula.

약력

박종우는 2009년부터 비무장지대를 촬영하기 시작하여 이후 10여 년 간 <북방한계선>, <임진강>, <한강하구 중립수역>, <대전차방어벽> 등 한반도 분단으로 인해 파생된 풍경과 현상을 기록해왔다. 최근에는 세계 여러 나라에서 국가 이데올로기에 따라 만들어진, 그러나 결국 쓰이지도 않은 채 버려진 군사시설 등 전쟁의 자취를 찾는 작업을 진행 중이다. 2019년 동강국제사진상을 수상했고, 사진집 『Himalayan Odyssey』(2009, 에디션제로), 『임진강』(2017, 눈빛), 『DMZ』(2017, Steidl)를 발간했다.

Park Jongwoo began documenting the Korean Demilitarized Zone in 2009 through his photographic lens, and has recorded landscapes, developments and changes that have come about as a result of the division of the Korean Peninsula for more than a decade, including the Northern Limit Line, the Imjingang River, the Han River Estuary Neutral Zone, and anti-tank obstacles. In recent years, he has traveled to many countries, finding traces of war, such as military facilities built based on national ideology, but eventually unused and abandoned. He was the recipient of the DongGang Photography Award in 2019, and is the author of the photo books Himalayan Odyssey (2009, Edition Zero), Imjingang River (2017,Noonbit), and DMZ (2017, Steidl).